Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 01:23:54 -0500 (EST)
To: "Baker"
From: bernie@media.mit.edu (Bernie Krisher)
Subject: Re: Request update on North Korea

Thank you for your inquiry. The situation is getting worse in North Korea and rations have been cut again, according to reports. I am planning another rice donation trip in the coming month or two and am preparing an appeal to collect $100,000 ($40,000 so far inhand) to bring rice again and distribute it directly to the civilian population in several areas. The World Food Program has issued periodic reports on the situation. They need many things there but are ready mainly for food or medical (drug) donations, not medical volunteers. They feel they have the human resources to cope but not the material. If you have anything specific in mind in helping the North Koreans in their current plight I can pass your proposal to them or if you have any donations you would like to have me deliver directly and monitor on my next trip, I will be pleased to cooperate. I look forward to hearing from you further.

Best regards,

Bernard Krisher