Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:46:56 -0500 (EST)
To: David Satterwhite
From: bernie@media.mit.edu (Bernie Krisher)
Subject: Re: North Korean flood relief

3/26/97

Dear Mr. Satterwhite,

You have reached the right person. I am about to embark on a third trip to North Korea with my daughter this time, around April 9. I will be bringing at least 200 tons of rice, drugs, powdered milk and medical equipment and a van to the population threatened with a famine. Contributions or pledges can be accepted until April 10 which can be included in this distribution. Any donation will be welcome and appreciated by the suffering civilian population, particulrly children facing malnutrition.

All will be distributed *directly* by me to the afflicted persons, as in the past.

The North Koreans have so far not wished to show their suffering in public. I have a few photos of malnourished children in a hospital and these are among the photos ion my Home Page. I trust I may get some more relevant photos during my upcoming trip but I hesitate to make them generally available, except over the Internet or with stories describing my donation efforts, because they may be misused and I am not confident all other "humanitarian" organizations necessarily end up giving the fruits of their donations to the right recipients.

Best regards,

Bernard Krisher

>This is an attempt to reach Mr. Bernard Krisher/Krischer (apologies for the spelling confusion), long-time foreign correspondent in Tokyo, who in recent years has organized an effort to raise funds for flood and famine relief in North Korea. If I have reached the right person, I look forward to a reply at your earliest convenience. If I have reached someone else mistakenly, my apologies in advance.

>I have been aware of your efforts from afar, having read your reports of fund-raising and travels with your son in North Korea last year, and somewhere became aware of more recent plans for travel, to accompany another shipment of humanitarian relief provisions. I admire your effort, and will hope to contribute something as my own financial situation improves.

>The reason for this effort to reach you is this: in my own Korea-related work, one of the well-known, U.S.-based humanitarian organizations has asked whether there are recent photos graphically portraying the human dimension of the malnourishment currently being suffered in the DPRK. Recalling your report last year, in which your son and you took many photographs, I thought that you may have recently taken, or have access to, such photographs. As you know from relief efforts in Africa and elsewhere, photographs can make a tremendous difference in raising public awareness, helping with fundraising efforts at this critical time for the North Korean population. Thus, if you should have, or have access to, such photographs, please let me know.

>Again, my hopes I have reached the right person, and my apologies if I have not. Kindly bounce this message back to me if I have reached you in error. Thank you.

>David H. Satterwhite, Ph.D.
>Seattle, WA
>Tel.: 206-230-4281
>Fax.: 206-230-4282

[ Back to Letters ] [ Send Email ] [ Return to Homepage ]