Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:31:15 -0700

From: Jonathan Jeon Organization: UBC

Subject: Thank you Bernie~!

To: Bernard Krisher

I Thank you for Internet Campaign you are running to save starving people of North Korea. As a Korean residing in Canada, I do not usually receive detailed information regarding the current crisis facing my people at North.

Well, I believe the introduction of myself should be the first in order. My name is Jonathan Jeon and I am 20 years old. I am currently enrolled in the Faculty of Commerce and Business of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. I lived in Seoul for 12 years and this year is my 9th year in Canada.

Recently, I was confronted with the reality that is facing North Korea. I feel that it is my duty to help them, because, after all, we are all brothers of same blood.

However, I noticed that most of South Koreans are generally aloof about the North Korean situations. They are more interested in inside politics and their own industries. But I firmly believe that the people who can truly help the North Koreans are the South Koreans. (I am not discrediting the efforts of UN and UNICEF and self-givings of lot of other foreigners.)

SO, this is my plan. I would like to organize a TV documentary team and go into North Korea. It will be advantageous if the crews are Canadian citizened, because it would be a lot easier the access the border. I am very confident that I can manage to raise about $50 000 CDN for the project, or even higher. (South Korean business men are willing to chip in already) The only problem that I am facing is that I cannot find organizations that are willing to go into North Korea. I myself am a only a university student but I am willing to give my best on this project.

I can get the permits from the North Korean government and other key government permits. And I am very confident that I can arrange vehicles. (Hyundai Canada Ltd. may provide us with their vehicles if we show them that we are able to complete this project.)

SO please, do you know anyone who is experienced in TV documentary production or anything similar to it? Known magazine project team will be preferable, like National Geography or Canadian Geography.

If you know anyone who can help me, please let me know. Once again, I thank you for your sincere effort to help the North Koreans and I await for your response.

Yours Truely

Jonathan Jeon

>Dear Bernard

>I thank you for your reply of my letter. I will try my best to raise money for grains here in Vanocuver, instead of going after the documentary things. :)

>I found out that donations drives are already underway in my city, so I think our efforts could be a big contribution here. Thanks once again.

>ps: you may post my letter to your Homapage.~ :)

>Bernie Krisher wrote:

>>Dear Jonathan

>>Thanks for your kind message. I think you put the horse before the cart. Many news organizations are lining up to go into the North. The North Koreans, however, are not allowing any media in these days. They do not see any merit in admitting an avalanche of press and cameramen with the uncertain results of what a free press may disseminate. The main thing right now is to send food to North Korea and see that it is monitored to reach the needy. Some organizations like my own are able to do that. If you can raise $50,000 it is better at this stage to buy 190 tons of rice or 380 tons of corn and distribute it among starving children who can no longer attend schools because they do not have any food for their lunches. Try to undertake a direct food campaign.

>>All the best,

>>Bernie Krisher

>>PS May I run your letter & my reply on my Home Page?

[ Back to Letters ] [ Send Email ] [ Return to Homepage ]