Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:44:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: bernie@media.mit.edu (Bernard Krisher)
Subject: Re: North Korean Assistance Info

10/6/97

Dear Jesse,

Your concern for the hungry North Koreans is very noble. The government
there is not used to having foreign volunteers in their  midst, except
representatives of international organizations. Therefore I think the only
possibility you might have of helping *there* is to join an organization
such as UNDP, WFP, UNICEF or the Red Cross and be assigned there by such an
organization. The way you can help sat this end, is to collect funds for
drugs and food, or hospital equipment, and send it to North Korea. If you
establish such a project I would be pleased to direct you how to ship it
(or transship it through me from Japan) and monitor it.

Best regards,

Bernie Krisher

>Bernie-
>
>I just got done reading one of your North Korean visit summaries. It was very
>compelling.  As a concerned humanitarian, I too am very troubled by the human
>catastrophe that takes place on a daily basis in a territory that neighbor
>some of the globe's most successful economies.
>
>My question for you is how can I help?  From 1992-93, I lived and worked in
>Chon'an, South Korea. I speak some Korean, have a pretty good feel for the
>culture and the geography of the south, and have many good Korean friends who
>would be happy to assist me in any way possible.
>
>For the past 3 years, I have worked for Cargill, Inc, a large Minneapolis
>based grain trading company, as a grain merchant and Oilseed Processing
>Commercial Manager.  I have a sound knowledge of grain merchandising
>strategies, transportation flows, and the global agricultural markets.
>
>I am 27 years old, single, and very willing to give up my present employment
>with Cargill to move to the region and devote my energy to improving the
>conditions of the impoverished North Korean population.  It is possible that
>Cargill would sponsor my efforts if they were linked to a recognized
>institution currently providing relief and assistance to the region.
>
>I am sure you are quite taxed with your current efforts, but if you could
>take the time to email me, write me a letter, or just give me a call offer
>some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Regards,
>jesse m. petsch (jpetsch@aol.com)
>3225g flowers road south
>atlanta, ga 30341
>770 455 0925

[ Back to Letters ] [ Send Email ] [ Return to Homepage ]