From Tjkimball@aol.com Wed Dec 13 02:06:10 1995
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 02:06:03 -0500
To: bernie@media.mit.edu
Subject: North Korea Flood Relief

Dear Mr. Krisher
My name is Dr.Edward Kimball. I am an Emergency Physician at the University of Pittsburgh. I spent several years of my youth in South Korea as a missionary and an athelete. I grew to love the Korean people a great deal (North and South) and have therefore been following your reports from North Korea with great interest.
To quickly get to the point, I have several possible resources for large humanitarian donations from my church and my fathers business. In addition, I speak Korean fluently and I would be available for a month to six weeks in the coming year to do any thing from medical advising to working in a rural clinic in North Korea. I am very anxious to be of help to these people whom I love very much. If you could supply me with information regarding channeling non-cash medical, food and clothing donations from the U.S. to North Korea, as well as contacts with medical groups (MSF/ Doctors Without Borders etc...) with whom I might be able to volunteer with as a doctor, I would be very greatful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Edward J. Kimball M.D.
E-Mail: tjkimball@aol.com
P.S. Thank You for all you have done for these dear people.

Dear Dr. Kimball,

I was very gratified to receive your letter and generous offer to help the North Korean Flood victims to the extent you propose.

If you will look at our home page again, especially the section on my North Korean trip you will find a report and photos which may more dramatically keep you up to date on the situation there. Today's newspapers also spotlight the increasing food shortage and threatening famine.

I don't think the North Koreans are ready to accept any volunteer doctors or non-international-organization-related long-term volunteers but working through Medecins sans Frontieres or coming with a half or million dollar health package might do the trick. I will provide you with the name of the chief representative of Medecins sans Frontieres in Phnom Penh whom you may wish to contact directly by fax, and cc:me.

Dr. Herve Isambert
Representative
Medecins Sans Frontieres
Taedonggong Hotel
Room 307
Pyongyasng, DPRK

TEL: 850-2-381-2802
FAX: 850-2-381-2905

I also plan to be in the States from January 4 for about a week and could meet you in New York if you wish to discuss specifics.

I will be traveling to North Korea again, probably late January/early February and would be pleased to take any donations along which you might be able to assemble and personally distribute on your behalf directly to recipients with video/photo verification and letters of acknowledgment and thanks from the Flood Rehabilitation Committee.

Best regards,

Bernard Krisher

[ Back to Letters ] [ Send Email ] [ Return to Homepage ]