Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 13:16:40 -0400 (EDT)
To: Steve
From: bernie@media.mit.edu (Bernie Krisher)
Subject: Re: Korea flood

9/10/96

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your message. We have not yet concretely negotiated the train project to Pyongyang. Some North Koreans actually advised me against it saying it was not secure, Very little that goes through those trains arrives. The Russian Mafia steals it all along the way. I also have not been able to get an estimate from the French Railways yet.

If you can ship a container to Yokohama or Kobe, Japan, I could transship it for you on a ship that goes from these ports twice a month to Nampo, the North Korean port and that takes five days. If you were to ship it soon it would get there in time. The transshipping cost might be around $3,000 or so. If you go this route I can get you exact estimates and perhaps some Koreans here might help subsidize part of it. You would not get the containers back, however.

Let me know if I can help you.

If you collect funds for rice I can include it in my next distribution there and give you full credit and publicity. It would be at $250 per ton including the transportation to North Korea. I will be going there in October/November hopefully with $100,000 worth of rice which I will distribute directly to the civilian population.

Best regards,

Bernard Krisher

>Dear Sir,

>I have with big interest studied Your campain for the flood victims of Korea.
>I'm from Sweden and is involved in a Swedish campain of raising funds for the situation in Korea. We will soon start with a campain in the churches and in media,
>etc. Currently one person from the Swedish parliament is visiting Korea to inspect
>and report back to us.

>Last week we had a meeting with the North Korean Embassy in Stockholm and they asked
>us to help them with one thing specially (besides the incredible need for food/rice).
>They asked if we could supply with Swedish/Scandinavian "barli". They want to saw
>barli late October/early November to be able to get a harvest before next rice-season
>starting April/May.
>It looks as sending it by boat would be impossible because of the 6-8 weeks of shipping time. But using the trans-Sibirian railway would maybe be possible.
>I have seen Your plans of sending goods that way from Paris, and I wounder how it
>worked and how much it did cost? Do You have any specific advice for such a way of
>shipping?

>Very best regards,

>Stefan Blomberg
>Ryttarstigen 15, SE 618 30 Kolmarden, Sweden Tel +46-11-392470, +46-10-6937376, Fax 46+11-398041 E-mail sgt@algonet.se

[ Back to Letters ] [ Send Email ] [ Return to Homepage ]